Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Dad

When I think of memories of my dad right now. I think of all the funny stories.

I am sure it is to no ones surprise that there are a lot of funny Ted stories.

One that I was present for, but do not remember, was the day I was born. Being the first born, mom and dad didn't realize that when a baby comes out of a teeny tiny hole their heads can be a little pointy for a short time. So when the Dr. handed me to my mom she was a little taken back by the pointy headed child that was just put in her arms. Then Dad being the forever optimist, said, "Well honey, we can atleast play football with her."

At my wedding, my dad made sure he was on his best behavior. He really wanted to make sure that he didn't do or say anything wrong. When he walked me down the aisle to answer the question who was giving away this woman to be with this man...
He answered, with all the confidence in the world...
"HIS MOTHER AND I!"
Bless him, he tried.


One of dad's faults was that he didn't pay attention to details.
Like the time we were out and we both needed to use the restroom. While we were walking to our restrooms we were talking to each other and neither one of us were paying attention (a quality I inherited) and he walked into the ladies restroom with me! Luckily one of us came to our senses and he jumped out, but now without making some type of scene.

When we were living in Knoxville, one Christmas break I came home from college, I was going to help dad and work a lock-in (like a sleepover but everyone stayed up all night) for the high schoolers. I wanted to drive my brother's, new to him, car. Dad jumped in the car with me and as I was driving up the road we were both trying to figure out the cd player. While I was looking down the road curved ever so slightly so I ran into a mailbox. Totally took it out.
Dad just laughed and said, "Well I guess it is a better time then ever to meet the neighbors."
When they answered the door they mentioned that they just moved in.
Both of us said, "Welcome to the neighborhood!...um...we broke your mailbox."

I know that most kids go through a stage where they are embarrassed for their parents to be around their friends. I can honestly say, I never felt that way. I knew that everyone would love both my parents and especially my dad.

I am truly honored to have been his daughter and cherish every day that I had with him. Especially those 3 and a half years we lived next door to each other.

Thank you Lord, for giving me such an incredible dad! Please help us to carry on his legacy with our children.

No comments: